Disasters are common worldwide and their aetiologies include natural, man-made (technological) and a hybrid of factors. The Great Lakes region of Africa,including Uganda, is prone to several man-made disasters, such as conflicts and warfare and natural disasters including droughts, floods, landslide and disease outbreaks.
Despite the high incidence of a variety of disasters, the capacity to minimise risks and effectively respond to/manage, and mitigate the effects of disaster remains limited in Uganda and several developing countries.
GOAL OF THE MDM PROGRAMME
To develop capacity for effective public health disaster management and risk reduction in Uganda and Africa
OBJECTIVES OF THE MDM PROGRAMME
To train and develop public health disaster managers with:
1) Knowledge and skills for forecasting disasters and risk reduction
2) Expertise to manage and implement effective public health disaster response interventions at district, nationaland international levels
3) Capabilities for impact assessment after implementation of disaster response
4) Capacity to carry out public health disaster related essential research and training.
Who can Apply?
The programme is open to Ugandans and Non-Ugandans who fulfil the admission requirements.
Only graduates from Universities recognized by the National Council for Higher Education will be considered for admission to the MOM training Programme.
All applicants must satisfy Makerere University admission requirements for graduate programmes.
1) A bachelor degree in health sciences, e.g. human medicine or nursing, from a recognised institution and at least two years’ relevant field experience.
2) A degree in biological sciences from a recognised institution,e.g.food science and technology,human nutrition,environmental health,and at least two years’ relevant field experience
3) A degree in social sciences from a recognised institution, e.g.community psychology, SWASA, Law, and at least two years’ relevant experience.
Short listed candidates will be interviewed prior to selection
DURATION OF MDM PROGRAM
The programme duration is two (2) years; Full Time
Year One: Semester 1
- Public Health and Disasters
- Legaland Human Rights in Disaster Situations Disaster Preparedness and Risk Reduction Health Systems in Emergencies
- Applied Epidemiology I
- Applied Biostatistics and Informatics I
Year One: Semester II
- Logistics Management in Emergencies Food and Nutrition in Disaster Situations EnvironmentalHealth in Disaster Situations
- Reproductive Health in Disaster Situations
- Disease Control in Disaster Situations
- Mental Health and Psychosocial issues in Disaster Situations
- Research Methods
Year One: Recess Term
Year Two: Semester I
- Monitoring and Evaluation in Disaster Situations
- Post Disaster Recovery and Rehabilitation Scientific Writing and Communication skills Graduate Seminar Series
Ugandans 4,500,000/= and International Students US $6,000
Makerere University reserves the right to revise tuition fee rates whenever necessary
MDM Program Administrator,
Department of Community Health & Behaverial Sciences School of Public Health, College of Health Sciences, Makerere University
P. 0. Box 7072, Kampala, Uganda. Tel: +256-41-4-5438721031-2-263158